Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
Skip Navigation
  • Options to Wrestle After High School

    You want to continue your wrestling career. What are your options? Here we will lay out all your options and, in future guides, go more in-depth into each one. If you are a male: Freestyle Greco Folkstyle If you are a Female: Freestyle Folkstyle   Males, depending on style, can choose from: College OTC RTC   Females, depending on style, can choose from: College OTC RTC. Acronyms: OTC – Olympic Training Center RTC – Regional Training Center X = Option Available – = Option Not Available PinFall Recruiting If you have any questions or comments on this guide or ideas… Read More

  • NJCAA Initial Academic Eligibility

    What is it? Initial eligibility is the ability to be able to compete for your institution as an entering freshman. The eligibility requirements are based upon your high school (or equivalent) academics. The NJCAA requirements are one of: High School graduate Earn a GED Complete an HS equivalency test HS graduate HS graduation must be documented with an official high school transcript that identifies: School Student Date of Graduation Administrative Signature. HS Equivalency test The equivalency exam has to be state-approved. If you haven’t been awarded the certificate or diploma, you can submit written proof of the completion to the… Read More

  • Male Freestyle Options After HS

    We will be focusing on Male Freestyle options after HS in this guide. If you want to wrestle Freestyle after high school, you have a couple of options to choose from. You can attend the Olympic Training Center (OTC) or a Regional Training Center (RTC). Neither of these options comes with college enrollment, but there are college options available to you separately. Both of these options come with a caveat: you have to meet certain qualifications to use. We will outline those later. First, let’s take a look at the OTC. Located in Colorado Springs, CO, the OTC is exactly… Read More

  • NCAA Eligibility Center

    NCAA Eligibility Center The NCAA Eligibility Center is the vehicle the NCAA uses to certify both eligibility and amateurism for competition within the 3 NCAA divisions; D1/D2/D3. While the rules for eligibility and certification are different for each of the divisions, if you are planning on competing in the NCAA, you are going to have to use the eligibility center. Link to the Eligibility Center The NCAA has 2 different types of accounts: Certification Account Used for D1 and D2 – You must have an account before taking an Official Visit or signing an NLI Create a Certification Account Profile… Read More

  • Male Greco Options After HS

    We will be focusing on Male Greco options after HS in this guide. If you want to wrestle Greco after college, you have a few options to choose from. You can attend the Olympic Training Center (OTC), a Regional Training Center (RTC), or college. Greco, probably surprisingly, offers the most options for continuing your career. Located in Colorado Springs, CO, the OTC is exactly as the name implies, a training center for Olympic level wrestlers or those with the ability to be Olympic level in the future. It provides a full-time freestyle training environment with other top wrestlers from across… Read More

  • Junior College vs. Community College

    You’ve heard the terms “Junior College” and “Community College” before, but what’s the difference? Bottom Line The terms are now interchangeable, and there is no difference between the two anymore. Junior College Junior Colleges were originally created with the intention of being a lower division (Jr. vs. Sr.) of institutions. Their goal was to provide opportunities for those students who may not have continued their education for any number of reasons and prepare them to be able to continue to a 4-year institution. The curriculum offered mirrored that of a 4-year institution. The environment Junior Colleges provided allowed those students… Read More

  • Male Folkstyle Options After HS

    We will be focusing on Male Freestyle options after HS in this guide. Oddly enough, despite being the most practiced style, if you would like to continue your Folkstyle career past HS, you have the ‘fewest’ options. You can go to college, and that’s it. Within this option comes the greatest variety, though. There are currently over 500 schools across 5 different organizations to choose from. This guide will provide a brief overview, and subsequent guides will go more in-depth about each organization. Organizations NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, CCCAA, and NCWA. Each of these organizations is governing organizations in which they… Read More

  • Undergraduate vs Graduate

    You’ve heard the terms “Undergraduate” degree and “Graduate” degree before, but what’s the difference? Bottom Line Undergraduate degrees are offered by colleges, and Graduate degrees are offered by Universities. Undergraduate Undergraduate, commonly called undergrad, degrees are those degrees up to and including a Bachelor’s. More than 2/3rds of all degrees handed out every year are undergrad. These degrees are often broader, as the school is focusing on teaching you how to learn and think while making you more well rounded knowledge-wise. Certificates and specialized training are a little bit different. They offer entry-level training specific to your career field. They… Read More

  • Family

    Family is mentioned everywhere in the recruiting rules and is often right there when student-athlete is. What qualifies as family? Why does it matter? CCCAA – No definition NAIA – No definition NCAA D1 – A family member is an individual with any of the following relationships to the prospective student-athlete: spouse, parent or legal guardian, child, sibling, grandparent, domestic partner, or any individual whose close association with the prospective student-athlete is the practical equivalent of a family relationship. NCAA D2 – No definition NCAA D3 – No definition NJCAA – No definition WCWA – No definition Equivalent of a… Read More

  • NAIA National Letter of Intent

    A couple of times a year, HS wrestlers and institutions around the country take to the social media to proudly announce they have signed a NAIA National Letter of Intent (NLI). What’s it all about, though? Note – This applies to the NAIA National Letter of Intent only. The NCAA, NJCAA, and WCWA have their own NLI rules that will be discussed in other articles. The Program The NAIA does not actually have a NLI program. It does permit its member institutions to have their own NLI program. Participation by institutions and wrestlers is voluntary. However, some NAIA conferences do… Read More